Starting June 7th, 2020, First Baptist Church will be studying the book of Colossians for six weeks, unearthing the mysteries Paul discusses in his letter to the Church of Colossae. This post is dedicated to providing supplemental material such as videos, links to Bible Study tools, and other resources for our congregational and personal growth.
- It’s important before we begin studying this letter that we read it in its entirety rather pick verses randomly. Context is incredibly important. A helpful resource for your private study can be found here: Bible Project: Colossians
- Beginning June 10th we will be reading through Colossians and doing a talk-back for the previous sermon. Join us for Q&A, Discussion, Reading, and Prayer at 7:00 on Wednesdays via Zoom (Click here for the ZOOM connection.)
- Sunday, June 14th, we will begin worship through the ancient Judeo-Christian practice of reciting the Shema. “Shema” is the first word found in Deuteronomy 6:4-5 which was the subsequent recitation by God’s people. For more information and an introduction to this practice, watch this video by the Bible Project, and feel free to explore other word studies available in the same series!
- During these 6 weeks, we will read through the book of Colossians together and learn how to pray in the way that Paul teaches.
- Christ Surrendered All – Written by Zac Hicks and Winfield S. Weeden
- This song is introduced in continuation with the message from June 21st, “The Mystery of Being in Christ (Part 1),” and is a retuning of the hymn I Surrender All by Winfield S. Weeden which was mentioned during that sermon. Take a look to see Zac’s story behind retuning this hymn and why retuning hymns can be a formative change for our devotional practices.
- Week 1- The Mystery of Prayer
- Colossians 1:3-14
- Week 2- The Mystery of Christ
- Colossians 1:15-20
- Week 3- The Mystery of Being in Christ (I)
- Colossians 1:24-2:5
- Week 4- The Mystery of Being in Christ (II)
- Colossians 2:6-23
- Week 5- The Mystery of New Attire
- Colossians 3:1-17
- Week 6- The Mystery of Submission
- Colossians 3:18-4:6